- 550 g - Plain flour
- 100 g - Oats
- 12 g - Sodium bicarbonate
- 12 g - salt
- 20 g - honey
- 2 tbsp - fennel seeds
- 2 tsp - onion seeds
- 1 pint - buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.
- Whisk the honey and buttermilk and pour into the dry mix.
- Bring it all together using a spoon or you can use a machine fitted with a dough hook.
- Once the mix is fully incorporated turn it out onto a dry, floured surface and knead gently into a round ball or a roll it out into a sausage shape.
- Place the dough onto a floured baking tray or stone and run a knife down the middle of the bread scoring it. If you've made a round shape, then score an 'X' on the surface.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 200c then turn the heat down to 180c and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer on to a wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.